Thank you for keeping up with Tony's status as he was battling cancer.

If you have questions to ask, add a comment to the blog, and I will be notified by email. Be sure to include your email in your comment so I can respond.

If you want to comment, and have trouble, you can always select Anonymous in the "Comment as" field and add your name at the end of your message.

Saturday, December 5, 2009

He is doing better

The doctors think he is past the worst of it. He is on pain medication because it hurts where the clot is. The blood thinners are working well. There is a chance the clot can move again and cause more trouble, but the doctors don't think it will. This is a common thing for cancer patients, so the hospital is very familiar with this.

He will see a pulmonary (lung...I assume) specialist later today. When the doctor said his lung was damaged, what he meant is that blood supply was temporarily restricted. We don't know at this point how bad the damage is or even if there is permanent damage. In either case, even if some lung tissue dies, the nurse says that won't be a long term problem...people live on one lung, and only part of one of his may be affected.

His attitude is improving, but last night was the low point of his treatment so far. Last night, he didn't care any more. He is heading back toward normal now, but isn't there yet.

This will change his cancer treatment plan. He can't have the treatment to reduce vascular growth for quite a while (whatever that means), but he should be able to do the chemo. He will have to be on a blood thinner for a long time (don't know how long).

If this had to happen, it is a good thing this happened now. It would have been much worse if he had started the medication to stop new blood vessel growth. It would have been worse if he and his Mom had been in the car on the way back to Oklahoma. It would have been worse if they had been on the plane flying home.

I thank God for his work. I thank God for your prayers. I thank God for friends. I woke up friends in Houston at nearly midnight last night, and they went to be with Sherri and Tony.


  1. I am so glad to hear that!!!! I have been so worried! I didn't sleep well at all last night worrying about Tony! I hope that he cheers up soon. He is such a fighter! I can't wait for him to come home and I hope things start lookng up now.

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. How will the blood thinners affect his ability to fly? :S

  4. He should be able to fly, but we haven't talked to the doctors about it.

  5. Oh good. :) My thoughts and prayers are with you all. I really appreciate this blog, it is nice to be able to keep up with everything. I know Tony will pull through this and this trial will only have made him - and all of you, his family - stronger for it.

  6. Neal and Sherri, Your dad and I are standing by to be there at a moment's notice if needed. I knew God would see to it that Tony would pull through this trial - as I said before, he has plans for that young man. As my grandma used to say (her favorite expression) "this, too, will pass". It may seem trite, but it's carried me through many trials. We love you all and you are always in our hearts and thoughts.

    G & G